10.26.2010

The CM tells it like it is.

I was re-introduced to this picture on Hyperbole and a Half:


 Once again, it made me laugh so hard that people around me looked at me like they doubted my sanity. But seriously, I agree with Cookie Monster. Parents seem determined to wrap their kids in cotton these days. Working for an after school program, I caught myself the other day thinking about the appropriateness of "Hangman." The I gave myself a mental kick in the butt; of course it is. Every kid should know how to play Hangman.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that we let kids play a game where a metaphorical person's life hangs in the balance? I was playing with some of my third graders the other day, and I'm fairly certain the little shits were purposely guessing the wrong letters because they thought it was funny. How hard is it to guess "CANDY" for pete's sake? 

I have a sudden mental flash of the Coliseum with a bunch of grade schoolers in the stands, all pointing their thumbs down.

In other news, the download of "The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain" failed, but I found a download for the Dr. Quandary game instead. The picture is pixelated and incredibly shitty (my eyes almost hurt when I switched back to the regular desktop screen because of the sharpness) and for some reason there's no music, but I played it until I beat it anyway. I also found a download for "Lemmings," but I think that one is so old that there's no hope of it actually working on my computer ever.



Going back to Muppets, has everyone seen this?





Edit: While pointedly NOT working on a self-evaluation paper for speech, I ran across an online version of Lemmings. Success!

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that the "old school" Sesame Street DVDs have a warning label that they are for "nostalgia purposes only" i.e. all of the stuff that we learned as children is no longer appropriate for today's children. There is something tremendously screwed up about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that Grover Old Spice thing a couple weeks ago and was in love...Sesame Street, you're still one of my favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete