4.18.2011

The running backstitch, while attractive, is not your friend.

Life update: I may have a place to live next year. Right now I'm waiting for my application to be reviewed/for the landlord to make sure that I'm not a Sketchy McSketcherton. More at eleven (not really; more like "more at the time that I remember to slap up a crappy post on my blog").

As some of you may recall, I danced a little jig when I was done at the book store. Welp, I'm applying for jobs again. I've decided that having limited funds is less fun than having a mindless job. If I get a job at DSW or Bed, Bath and Beyond, at least I'll have a sweet discount...

So remember the dresser from this post? Well, it's primed. That's about it. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that apparently spray paint does not like temperatures below 50 degrees and will show its displeasure by flaking and bubbling, thereby making your furniture look like it has a case of leprosy. Curse you, Wisconsin spring!

In the meantime, I explored the paint shelves in my basement a bit and found six more containers of stain in various shades. SIX. I decided that if I really wanted to be satisfied with the stain I picked I would have to test them. So I did.

I dub this the "stain family reunion" photo.


I dug out some icky looking piece of wood, mixed up the water-glue solution, and papered that baby.



Next, I sectioned off rectangles and labeled the tape so I would know what was what. I left one area as a control (labeled "control").


Tah dah! I still like the espresso stain. The only regret I have is that there weren't really any seams in that section, but I'll take my chances.


And I found drawer pulls! Huzzah for World Market!


I'm also working on a pillow. It's a CB knock-off tutorial that I found. Thus far it's been pretty easy, but I can't sew decent circles on a machine because the bobbin thread tangled up and I wanted to hit it with a hammer the fabric doesn't turn well and I end up with odd polygon shapes, so I'm hand sewing. Eek.





This shall take me forever. Or a week of poking my fingers while trying to watch Biggest Loser and Top Chef and trying not to swear too loudly. Either way, I don't know that I could put up with the shame of having my decorative stitching looking like this:


...especially when this is much prettier:

1 comment: