1.09.2011

Taking a bite out of the Little Apple.

At the end of this weekend, I will have driven (drum roll please)... one thousand, three hundred ninety-nine miles (or roughly twenty-five hours). That's a LOT of miles on my car in four days.

And for those of you English language sticklers, yes, I should have written the mileage number as numerals; it's just way more impressive when written out.

Why did I drive such an insane amount? For a vet school interview, of course! Earlier today I interviewed at Kansas State University in Manhattan (Kansas). I went into this interview/other activities hoopla completely prepared to be unimpressed. I was convinced otherwise. Though I had looked over the curriculum, mission statement, ethical code, blah blah blah on the KSU website, I was really impressed in person as well. Which, sadly, was not the case at ISU. While I love my alma mater and will always consider myself a Cyclone, I would pick the vet school at KSU over the one at ISU at this point.

I was talking to another person who had interviewed at Iowa State after both of us had finished up our respective KSU interviews. I asked her what she thought of the ISU interview. She shared her thoughts. I shared mine. I'll spare you the sordid details of our conversation, but we both agreed that this, based on the questions that we were asked, should be included in the series of questions asked to next years batch of vet school hopefuls: "Describe a time when you completely failed at life." But really, that question would be redundant. Between the two of us, we were asked to describe a time when we failed, had to break a promise, were creative and failed, and felt that we were in a situation that we couldn't deal with. 

Biggest difference between the ISU and KSU interview: I didn't feel like shit on the bottom of a shoe after I left the interview room. I actually felt good about myself, and that perhaps I actually had a shot of getting a spot next year.

To continue with the tradition of leaving you with something totally unrelated at the bottom of the post, here are a few samplers made by Steotch on Etsy

I first ran across this one on a post on regretsy, and am insanely jealous of it:


Then there's this one. Notice the mushroom in the cornucopia:


Nothing says "no sexual harassment, please" like needlepoint:


And my personal favorite:


For those of you who don't get the last one, watch this video on YouTube. All will be made clear. Possibly clear enough for a triple rainbow.

Note: I'm aware that the type is stupidly large for this post. For reasons unknown the default type is turning out to be stupidly small, so I chose the lesser of two evils.

2 comments:

  1. "Oh my God. What does it mean?" Wow. I hadn't seen that video before. Thanks for breaking the monotony of the day. :-) Glad your KSU interview went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked that video, check THIS video!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA
    (By the same guys as the Bed Intruder Song.)

    So happy I got to see you!

    ReplyDelete