10.01.2011

$21.50

That's how much I made playing at the farmer's market this morning.

For those of you who haven't read the last few posts, I decided to apply to be a performer at the Saturday farmer's market here in Urbana. This was my first weekend playing, and I can say with confidence that the experience was cold.

It is October, after all.

In all seriousness, it was really fun. I probably spent more time talking to people about the harp than I actually did playing (which would explain my poor-ish take). Not many people have seen a harp up close before, and most people think of a concert pedal when they think of harp, so I got a LOT of questions. I also ran into a biology grad student who is also a harp player, and exchanged phone numbers. The local retirement community may be getting some harp duets in the future.

After packing up and stowing my harp and paraphernalia in my car, I promptly spent my mass of one dollar bills on produce. And cheese.

MORE VEGETABLE SWAG.

The purple thingy is a Japanese eggplant; I bought one out of curiosity. Butternut squash soup and vegetable cassoulet... NOM. Love fall.

I also went apple picking a week or so ago. I stuffed the 1/2 peck bag they gave me as full as I could without splitting it, and scurried home with my goodies. The next day, I made pie.

I got out my sacred pastry text (a.k.a. the America's Test Kitchen Baking book) and looked up the apple pie recipe therein. Apparently, the trick to keeping your apples from shrinking away from the top of the pie is to pre-cook them.



The honorable grapefruit bird presides.

Why does my crust never look as good as the picture? And they make it look so EASY.


Viola! Pie!


I still have a ton of apples left, so I'm going to try making an apple braid. We'll see how this turns out; yeast and I have a Sharks-Jets kind of relationship, and I don't mean the Tony and Maria sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment